Accessing our services

There are a number of services that you can access without completing the Counselling and Wellbeing registration form:

To register with the Counselling and Wellbeing Service please complete our online form. We have a range of services we can offer you once you have registered. Please be aware that our current waiting time is up to 10 weeks. You can find further details about waiting times, our missed or cancelled appointments policy and things you can do while you wait on the Our Services webpage.

Below is a list of services available on and off campus.

Wellbeing drop-in sessions

At our daily wellbeing drop-in sessions you can meet with our staff to talk about your personal concerns and find out about available support. Following your 20 minute consultation, our advisors can signpost you to the most appropriate internal and external services available.

Please visit our Wellbeing drop-in sessions webpage for more information. 

Learning Support, Disability and Mental Health Service drop-in sessions

At these drop-in sessions you can disclose a disability to the University, ask about the Disabled Student Allowances (DSA) or or arrange support to help you with your academic work.

Please visit the Learning Support, Disability and Mental Health Services webpage for more information. 

Wellbeing Officer and Welfare Tutors

Your Wellbeing Officer or Welfare Tutor is able to provide practical support for you if you are experiencing personal problems that interfere with your academic work. Find out who your Wellbeing Officer or Welfare Tutor is.

Workshops and groups

We offer a range of workshops and groups throughout the year. These include relaxation, managing exam stress, handling difficult emotions and settling into university.

Please visit the workshops and groups webpage for more information.

Self-help guides

The University has produced a series of self-help guides, which provide practical advice and support for a range of situations. They have been written by clinical psychologists and include simple ways in which you can begin to make positive changes. These are available to download from the self-help guides webpage.

Birmingham Nightline

Birmingham Nightline offers a confidential student-led listening and information service on campus, by telephone or via online chat.

NHS mental health support services

Forward Thinking Birmingham is the NHS mental health service provider for people up to the age of 25 who are registered with a Birmingham GP. You can visit their city centre drop-in service and self-refer online. They also have a 24-hour crisis helpline number, which is 0300 300 0099.

Birmingham Healthy Minds is also part of the NHS mental health services and offers psychological therapies for those who are registered with a Birmingham GP. You can self-refer online, by phone on 0121 301 2525 or by texting 'BHM' to 60777.

If you are not registered with a GP, please visit our webpage about how to register with a GP.

Private talking therapy

If you would like to access private talking therapy you can find out more on the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy website.

You may also wish to visit the NHS registers of support webpage where you will find further guidance on mental health services.

Urgent support

If you feel you need urgent support, here is some useful advice:

In the first instance:

  • If you have a GP, please contact them and ask for an emergency appointment. If they are not open they should have an out-of-hours number you can call.
  • If you do not have a GP, please call the switchboard for Birmingham and Solihull’s Mental Health Trust on 0121 301 0000.

Alternatively you can:

  • Call 111 for free urgent care advice in situations that are not life-threatening.
  • Call Forward Thinking Birmingham’s 24-hour crisis team on 0300 300 0099 (for people up to the age of 25). See below for more information
  • Call the Samaritans on 116 123. They operate a confidential, free to call service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Attend your local NHS walk-in service. The nearest walk-in service to the University is Katie Road, Selly Oak. Find your local NHS Walk in Service.
  • Call 999 or go to your local Accident & Emergency department (A&E). The nearest A&E to the University is at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. Find your local A&E service.

Always call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured, and their life is at risk.

For further information about seeking urgent support please visit the Urgent Support page of our website or Birmingham and Solihull’s Mental Health Trust’s webpage about what to do in an emergency.

Any questions?

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us