Disclosing and registering

Telling us you have a disability

It is important that you tell us about (disclose) any disabilities you have so that we are able to give you the best advice about the full range of support available to you.

A disability in this context may be:

  • Dyslexia or another specific learning difficulty
  • Long term (12 months or more) health condition such as diabetes or migraines
  • Mental health condition such as depression, anxiety or schizophrenia
  • Physical or sensory impairment
  • Autism spectrum condition including Asperger’s syndrome

You can tell us about a disability at any time during your time at university, but telling us as early as possible ensures any support is available sooner. Even if you don’t need support at the time of disclosure, being fully-registered enables us to provide support to you more quickly if you do need it. 

How to disclose a disability and register with us

If you're a prospective student, you can tick the 'disability' box on your UCAS form when you apply to university. UCAS will let us know and we will contact you. This is a good option as it means we can get you registered and have support in place in plenty of time for your course.

If you're not applying through UCAS you can register online as soon as your place is confirmed. It's a good idea to register with us as early as possible before your course starts.

Current students can register online at any time.

To register: you can tell us directly by filling in our online registration form. The form takes between 5 and 20 minutes to complete. We use this form to ask you all the information we need to advise you from the start. If you need an alternative format or to register in another way, for example if the form is not accessible or feels too stressful, please let us know by phoning us on 0121 414 5130 or emailing disability@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

Evidence of disability

To complete your registration with Learning Support, Disability and Mental Health Services we do need you to provide suitable evidence of your disability. If the evidence you provide doesn't have the necessary detail in it we will bounce it back to you and this can cause delays. If you need to discuss your evidence further, you can email or telephone us, or come to one of our drop-ins.


Details of your disability will be kept confidential. On the registration form you will be asked for your consent for us to hold and share your information, on a 'need to know' basis. This consent will remain in force during your registration at the University unless you notify the University otherwise.

We also abide by the University’s Data Protection policies.

What happens next?

Once you have registered and provided suitable evidence, you will be allocated a specialist learning support adviser, disability adviser or mental health adviser as your keyworker. Your keyworker will be in touch with you to talk to you about your needs. You may be given an apointment to come and meet them, or talk to them over the phone or by email. During this initial contact, you may draw up a Reasonable Adjustment Plan together, which describes all the ways the University will support your teaching and learning. This will be communicated to your academic department and other University departments to put your support in place. After that you are free to contact your keyworker for advice on any issues arising from your condition.

Choosing not to disclose 

If you choose not to disclose your disability or limit disclosure we will still try and do our best to help you, but you may not be able to access the full range of support available.

Staff receiving a disclosure from a student

See our Information for Staff.

Outstretched hand