Safe riding and parking for Voi e-scooters and West Midlands Cycle Hire bikes.
What rental bikes and e-scooters can I ride on campus?
TfWM’s cycle hire bikes and Voi’s rental e-scooters can be ridden University of Birmingham land and parked in designated spaces on campus.
All other e-scooters, including private e-scooters, are not permitted on campus, just as they are not permitted on public land.
What are the conditions for riding a rental e-scooter?
In order to ride the e-scooters, users must be 18 years of age or older and hold a qualifying driving licence.
Where can I ride?
E-scooters can be ridden on University of Birmingham land on campus roads and cycle paths. E-scooters are not permitted on pavements and narrow pedestrian paths.
Certain zones may be designated as no-go or slow-speed zones. Technology fitted to the e-scooter will limit access or speed in these zones.
What safety equipment should I wear?
E-scooter users and cyclists are strongly advised to wear a cycle helmet and high visibility clothing.
What is safe riding?
Safe riding means:
- One person per scooter/bike only;
- Making sure bags and other items do not prevent control;
- Always assessing and adapting to the situation
- Adapt riding to external circumstances, including weather conditions;
- Mounting phones in the special holder, if available and using it for navigation only;
- Never riding when tired or affected by alcohol or medication;
- Paying care and attention to other road and cycle-path users,
- Ringing the bell and giving adequate space when passing pedestrians;
- Respecting all road rules and;
- Being vigilant for road signs and markings
How should I park the e-scooters?
Leave the rental scooters and bikes in the bays and docks around campus. These are clearly marked in the user apps and on the ground.
Stand the e-scooter or bike securely upright, and in the dock if available, and be sure not to leave it in the way of other people who may come past.