The Brum Bulletin - 8 June 2022
Welcome to your fortnightly Brum Bulletin newsletter! With assessments nearly over (you've got this), check out what else is going on - on campus, and beyond, to help you unwind and enjoy your last few weeks of the academic year. In this edition:
- Enter our exclusive competition for the chance to win tickets to one of Birmingham’s most loved attractions - Cadbury’s World!
- Find out how to snap up one of the coveted paid summer jobs at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Find out about a new option to resit your failed modules and defer graduation.
Get your Covid-19 vaccine on campus
In partnership with University Hospitals Birmingham (NHS) the mobile vaccination team is coming back to campus so that anyone who is eligible can grab a jab. Pop by for your first, second or booster dose! Get your vaccinations now!
Work at the Commonwealth Games this summer!
English and Classics student Alina will be working as a Food and Beverage Assistant at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, which will give her the chance to earn money while being a part of a global once-in-a-lifetime event. Check out the available roles. Hear from Alina.
Graduation success for UoB student Kian
Congratulations to final-year BA Criminology student Kian Jones, 21, who’s set to graduate in July – exactly 10 years after being diagnosed with a rare brain tumour! Read more about Kian’s inspirational story and his campaign work. Read Kian's story.
New final year reassessment option
Do you need to retake one or more failed modules during your final year of your Undergraduate Masters or Bachelor’s degree? Try not to worry - this academic year, you now have the option to resit final year modules in August and defer your graduation. Find out more.
Student Evaluation of Learning & Teaching Semester 2 Survey
It’s time to have your say about the teaching and learning you’ve had this semester. Open from now until 19 June, the SELT survey is your opportunity to tell us what you think about your learning experience this academic year. Complete the survey.
Joint statement on Parents & Carers Fortnight
Held between 6-17 June, Parents and Carers Fortnight is an opportunity for students and staff with parental and caring responsibilities to join a host of events. Vice-Chancellor Adam Tickell and Guild President Mikey Brown explain more. Read our statement.
Working on your dissertation this summer? Our PGT Essentials workshops cover all stages of the writing process from research, to writing and structuring your dissertation, and proofreading and editing your work before submission. Sign up here.
My PGT in 3 is a competition for PGT students to compress their dissertation research into a 3 minute, snappy video. Whether you have your dissertation title decided or not, it'll help you develop your argument, clarify your ideas, and develop skills in video editing, public engagement, presentation, and creativity to make your CV stand out from the crowd! Learn more here.
And for PGRs and PGTs interested in PGR study, tickets are now LIVE for The Postgraduate Research Festival on 16-17 June 2022! Get your ticket and join us in celebrating the fantastic research happening across the University.
Got your COVID-19 vaccination abroad?
Update your records to get the NHS Covid Pass in time for your summer travels. The NHS will be offering a new Overseas Vaccine Equivalency Service on the Green Heart right beside the Study Space Marquee on Monday 20 June. Find out more about the service.
Dates for your diary
Remember, you can also find out more about university events by seeing the ‘What’s on’ page on the intranet.
Garden State (part of BE Festival)
8-11 June Midlands Arts Centre
Join a host of artists as they take over the main stage at the MAC and turn it into an exotic communal garden made up of their favourite houseplants. Free performances and a range of activities will then take place as part of a multi-faceted artistic calendar, part of the Birmingham 2022 Festival. Find out more and book tickets now.
Deck Chair Afternoon Fun
Thursday 9 and Thursday 16 June, 1-4pm, University Square
Join us for fun outdoor games and activities by the giant deck chairs on campus, while snapping selfies that could win you two tickets to the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. Find out more about our Share the Chair giveaway.
Future Postgraduate Social
Friday 10 June 3-5pm, Mermaid Bar
Are you a current UoB undergraduate going into postgraduate study next year? Join the University Graduate School for a future-postgraduate social. Meet other students staying on and get your questions about postgraduate life at UoB answered! More info and sign-ups here.
Saturday 11 June, 12-11pm, The Vale Village
Europe’s largest student-run festival celebrates its return to the Vale! With four stages of live music, delicious food and countless activities right on your doorstep what’s not to love? Book your ticket now help ValeFest support student-picked charities: Friends of the Earth (Birmingham) and EcoBirmingham.
Careers Network Finalist Events
13-17 June, online and on-campus
Get your career off to a flying start! Whether you’re just beginning to think about your next steps or you’re further along in your career journey, this week of sessions is exclusively for the class of 2022. From networking with employers and hearing from UoB alumni to career planning and top tips sessions, find out more and book a session here.
International Day of Yoga
Tuesday 14 June, 12-2.30pm, Sport and Fitness Centre
Celebrate the International Day of Yoga with a free, beginner-friendly yoga session followed by refreshments. The event is organised by the University of Birmingham India Institute, the High Commission of India and UoB Sport and Fitness – register now to secure your place.
Sustainability Town Hall
Thursday 16 June, 11-2pm, Avon Room
This drop-in event welcomes all staff and students to learn about the relevant work the University is doing to make our air cleaner. Visit stalls and hear from a range of speakers including our VC, Birmingham Energy Institute, Estates, Campus Services, and external collaborators. Register your interest here.
Win your own Perry toy!
Which two sports events will UoB host during the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games? Log in with your university credentials and answer this question before Friday 17 June for the chance to win your own plush toy of Perry, the official Commonwealth Games mascot! Terms and Conditions apply. Submit your answer.
Win a chocolatey day out to Cadbury World!
Cadbury World has relaunched its special student offer for just £10 each and to celebrate, they’re offering two lucky students the chance to win a pair of tickets to enjoy a choc-filled day at the iconic Birmingham attraction! Just log in with your university credentials and answer this question: Which Cadbury's dark-chocolate bar shares its name with the village in Birmingham where the Cadbury's World factory is located? Terms and conditions apply. Submit your answer.
- Protect your uni account with MFA - From Monday 1 August all users will need multi-factor authentication (MFA) to access uni services and your student account. Read this important information, so you don’t get locked out!
- UoB Elevate at The Exchange – Applications are now open for entrepreneurial students and graduates to join a new start-up incubator space in September 2022; the application deadline is Sunday 26 June 2022. Finalists and graduates also can apply for £15,000 scholarships. You can find full details on the UoB Elevate website.
- UoB student nominated in the National Diversity Awards for mental health project - Working under the pseudonym Kay Weston, the West Midlands-based teacher and part-time student has worked to boost understanding of stigmatised mental health conditions. Now she’s nominated for a Positive Role Model Award for Disability in the National Diversity Awards, sponsored by ITV News – fingers crossed! Find out more.
- Postgraduate progression scholarship – Are you beginning a postgraduate taught degree after your final year? Or perhaps you are interested in staying on? You could be eligible for a £1,500 reward as recognition of choosing to study here after your undergraduate! Find out more and apply here.
- Don’t forget to return your library books – Final year students: remember to return your library books by Monday 13 June. If you’re going to be away from campus this summer, it’s good to take your books to the library before you leave to avoid having to do the returns by post.
If you have any suggestions for the student newsletter, please email email@example.com.