Start-up Visa

Due to recent legislative change, the UK Government have withdrawn the Start-Up Visa for International students. However, the University of Birmingham can still support you if you would like to start a business in the UK.

Are you an International student with a business idea you wish to start in the UK? If so, please read on to find the most relevant visa for you. It is important that you ensure you have the correct visa to start a business. Please note, your current student visa may not permit you to start a business in the UK. Please ensure you check eligibility requirements.

Visa Options

Innovator Founder visa

The Innovator Founder visa route replaces the previous Start-Up visa with very similar conditions.

The University of Birmingham is no longer able to endorse a start-up visa application. This is now the responsibility of the following organisations:

Graduate route visa

The Graduate route visa enables you to work in the UK for up to two years and permits self-employment, therefore you are eligible to start a business whilst on this visa.

Further information can be found from our UoB International Student Team (IST).

Global Talent visa

You can apply for a Global Talent visa to work in the UK if you’re a leader or potential leader in one of the following fields, Academia or research, arts and culture, digital and technology.

This is a useful resource to help explain the process of switching your Student visa into a Working visa: 
UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - Working after studies

How can B-Enterprising support you?

B-Enterprising can support our International student through a variety of ways:

If you would like to see how B-Enterprising have supported International businesses previously, click on the case studies below to find more information.


Further queries

If you have any additional questions, please email the team at


Professional Services