Insurance Services

Important update:  
Changes to travel cover with effect from 1st August 2020

 The UoB travel policy renewed on 1st August 2020 and anyone booking cover should now be aware of the following changes. These are all referenced in the Summary of  Cover document, which has been produced by UMAL and which can be downloaded from these webpages but in summary please note the following: 

  1. There is now a restriction in terms of cancellation or curtailment of trips if caused by COVID-19. In essence, unless a trip was booked prior to 18th March 2020 there will be no cover for costs incurred if a trip is disrupted as a consequence of COVID-19.
  2. However, this exclusion does not extend to medical expenses, so if a traveller falls ill during a trip and requires emergency treatment as a result of the virus, that would be covered. The cost of routine testing during a trip would not, however, be covered.
  3. Leaving aside COVID-19, the deductible (excess) has been increased from £25 to £50 for medical expenses, personal possessions and loss of money.
  4. There is no longer any cover for loss of or damage to mobile phones, unless they constituted business equipment.

 Any questions or queries should be directed to the Insurance team at:

All insurance taken out in the University’s name shall be arranged by the Director of Finance, who shall keep a record of all insurances effected by the University and the property and risks covered.

The University's insurance requirements are reviewed annually in the light of an assessment of the risks facing the University and the types of protection required to cover those risks. The Director of Finance is responsible for obtaining quotations, negotiating claims, maintaining the necessary records and dealing with the University's insurers and advisers about specific insurance issues. 

Heads of Budget Centre must give prompt notification to the Director of Finance of any potentially new risks and additional property and equipment which may require insurance, and any alterations to existing risks. Similarly, all claims or incidents likely to give rise to claims must be notified to the Finance Office Insurance Section immediately. 

Any event which could result in an insurance claim being made must be reported to the Finance Office Insurance Section immediately that event occurs or is discovered. Any delay could result in a claim being disallowed.

This area covers this topics:     


Workplace Wellbeing have particular policies and guidelines in force are able to give advice on specific health and safety issues.

There is now legislation which sets out stringent timetables for the provision of information in support of some claims. Any correspondence in connection with a claim or potential claim must be forwarded to the Finance Office Insurance Section immediately; preferably by hand. It is imperative that no reply or response is given to any such correspondence, not even a simple acknowledgement, as this could invalidate our insurance cover. 

The University holds insurances which will cover employees whilst carrying out their duties. These insurances either respond to claims from employees who suffer injury or damage in the course of their employment or to claims from others who have suffered due to the negligent act, error or omission of an employee.


Professional Services