The current Property Damage, Contractors’ Insurance and Money policies are all covered within this section, which also includes advice relating to movement of equipment and minimum standards of control.

The Property Damage policy includes cover for both buildings, contents and equipment including that owned by or the responsibility of the University. An outline of what each policy covers is explained and there are downloadable documents available including policy wordings and policy Schedules.

Property damage

The University holds insurance cover for all buildings, contents and equipment owned by or in the custody or control of the University. This includes items temporarily removed to other locations or in transit with limits of £250,000 any one consignment and £60,000 any one item. It should, however, be noted that the University carries a £25,000 deductible on all property claims of which only £1,000 is passed onto a Budget Centre.

In the event of a break-in where forced entry has taken place it is important that the University Security Section are notified and the local police who will make a note of details of what has been stolen and the damage to our property and give a crime number. All reasonable steps need to be taken to make sure the area is made safe again and the Estates Office will need to be contacted to put this in motion and please note there is an urgent repairs telephone number +44(0)121 414 6406.

For general enquiries telephone +44(0)121 414 3000 where one of the security personnel will be able to assist you.

Recommendations regarding types of security devices for equipment etc. can be found online

Note: Immediate notification of the acquisition or disposal of a single, or related, item/s costing £100,000 or more, must be made to the Finance Office Insurance Section.

No theft or accidental damage for personal property cover is available for and in general is brought to the University at the owner’s risk. Employees are, therefore, strongly recommended to extend their household contents policy to cover personal effects away from their home.

Personal Possessions:

There is some limited cover for personal possessions (e.g. clothes, personal computer, personally owned books, furniture brought in from home etc.) which may be stolen or damaged on campus. 

Where possible, staff and students are strongly advised to extend the scope of their own household policy to cover items whilst away from home and on campus. This is typically available via an ‘All Risks’ extension to the policy. The UoB Property policy provides some, restricted, cover which should be considered as a contingency option but this will only apply in certain circumstances and is subject to a number of exclusions and conditions. In particular, please note the following: 

  1. Items which are more specifically insured are excluded.
  2. There is a limit of £1,000 per person.
  3. For claims involving theft, there is no cover at all for individuals’ loss of: precious metal, jewellery, watches, furs, contact lenses, portable electronic entertainment equipment, computer equipment, cameras, money and securities of any description. 

Cover is therefore very limited and students and staff are advised to act as if uninsured and take great care of their possessions, which are left at their own risk.



Contractor's insurance

The University has Contractor’s All Risks Insurance which is required when the University contracts with many construction companies for building and refurbishment work campus wide.

This letter, which our insurers have prepared for us, is used where organisations we deal with require evidence of the extent of the cover held by the University. 

As the automatic cover for contracts is only up to £1,000,000 in value there is a questionnaire which our insurers ask to be completed before a higher value contract is to be embarked upon.

This questionnaire which needs to be completed by Estates personnel and sent to the Insurance Office.  

Movement of equipment

Insurers provide All Risks cover for the transit of equipment off campus by way of an extension of the main property cover. NB. Cover is worldwide.

The limits are £250,000 in total with a £60,000 single item limit for property away from the premises.

It should be noted that the excess is  £25,000 and applies whether movement is within the UK or abroad.

Should the values of equipment  be exceeded in any way, then the Insurance Officer needs to be notified before the equipment is due to be transported so that specific cover can be arranged.

The duty of care issue needs to be adhered to and security of the equipment is extremely important (e.g. equipment should never be left unattended in a motor vehicle and packaged in such a way that accidental damage is minimised).

On the travel policy there is a small amount of cover for personal property/ business equipment of up to £2,000 (including laptops) with an £25 excess. This is for equipment that a member of staff or student may have to take with them on a business trip. The cover stands on the understanding that all reasonable steps will have been taken for the security of the equipment whilst on route.


This policy provides cover for the loss of University money whilst in transit anywhere within the United Kingdom, or whilst on University premises. 

There are limits to the sums of money that can be held on the premises both in and out of a locked safe of £1,750 and £500 respectively. There is a restriction on the sum that can be carried by an individual, whilst travelling to the Bank.

Money Escort Warranty

Insurers stipulate the amounts of cash in transit that can be transported on campus to a bank by individuals for that insurance cover to be in force as follows:-

  • Up to £3,000 by one able bodied person.
  • £3,000 to £10,000 by two able bodied persons.
  • In excess of £10,000 must be by a Security carrier.

It is important that these limits are not exceeded as this will invalidate the insurance if there was to be a claim to be submitted. Please note also that the use of fleet vehicles or private vehicles for transporting cash around the campus is not allowable. 

It is a condition of this policy that, outside the normal working hours of the University, all safe keys must be removed from the site where the safe is located and retained in the custody of responsible employees.


Professional Services