Funding and taking a leave of absence

If you are considering temporarily withdrawing from the University, you will need to read the guidance provided on the leave of absence webpage.

If you take a leave of absence, your tuition fees will be prorated so that you are charged only for the period that you have attended in each academic year

The Tuition Fee Liability web-page provides information about the University’s Fee Liability Policy for students who withdraw or take leave of absence. Please consult this page for information about the fee you will be charged.

Postgraduate loans

If you have taken out a Postgraduate Masters Loan or a Doctoral Loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC) and you decide to take a leave of absence, any future payments for the current year will be suspended until you return to your course.

However, if you take a break for at least two years during your course, you will only receive further payments if you can show that you have compelling personal reasons, such as illness or bereavement.

For those in receipt of Postgraduate Loans, repeat years of study will not be funded (only in exceptional circumstances as determined by the Student Loans Company) and further funding is not available where the course is not completed in the specified length.

Scholarships and other awards

Student loans and grants, scholarships and bursaries are not normally payable during suspension of studies. 

If you are in receipt of any University awards, please contact the person, department or institution responsible for administrating this as it is likely that you will be asked to return any overpayments.

For information about maternity and paternity leave, please read the following webpage.