Support for students with children

Depending on your income and circumstances, you may be eligible for the Parents' Learning Allowance or a Childcare Grant. These do not need to be repaid and are paid in three instalments from the Student Loans Company along with your other statutory support payments. You may also be eligible for Child Tax Credit from the Inland Revenue.

Parents' Learning Allowance

The Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) is an income-assessed grant to help full-time undergraduate students with dependent children meet their course-related costs. The allowance is worth up to £1,766 a year for 2020/21. 

You can apply for PLA by filling out the relevant section whilst making your Student Finance application for your tuition fee and maintenance loans. If you have already made your Student Finance application, and wish to apply for PLA, please contact Student Finance England.

Childcare Grant

The Childcare Grant is an income-assessed grant available for full-time undergraduate students with dependent children in registered and approved childcare. The Grant will make up 85% of your actual childcare costs. In 2020/21, eligible students will receive up to £174.22 a week for one child, and up to £298.69 a week for two or more children throughout the year. Students can receive the Childcare Grant or the childcare element of Working Tax Credits but not both. 

For information on how to apply for the Childcare Grant, please visit the Government website.

Universal Credit

Full-time students (including postgraduates) should make a claim for Universal Credit if any of the following apply:

  • You are responsible for a child, either as a single person or as a couple
  • You are disabled and entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • You live with a partner and they are eligible for Universal Credit



Professional Services