NHS funding for continuing undergraduate students

In addition to potentially receiving statutory support (tuition and maintenance support) from the government, students on medical, dental, health-related, or social work programmes may also be eligible for non-repayable support from the NHS.

Arrangements for Dental Hygiene and Therapy courses, Nursing and Physiotherapy

Although most degree programmes in subjects referred to as Allied Health Professions are funded by the Student Loans Company, the Government has announced that new and continuing students from 2020 may be eligible for a training grant of at least £5,000.  For the most up to date information visit NHSBSA Grant scheme.

Medical and Dental programmes

If you are a 'Home' student studying on a Medicine or Dentistry programme your funding arrangements are somewhat different to standard undergraduate programmes.

Will I be eligible for support from the government?

In the first, second, third or fourth year of your studies (unless you are a graduate entry student - in which case it will be the first year only), you are funded by the standard student support package that is available from the government. Depending on the length of your term dates, you may be eligible for an extended amount of Maintenance Loan. 

What is the NHS Bursary, and how do I apply?

Once you enter your fifth year of study (or second year for graduate entry courses), you become eligible for NHS funding. This means that you will be eligible for a means-tested NHS Bursary. You are also be able to take a reduced-rate Maintenance Loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC). Please note that this is determined by year of study rather than course year. So if you intercalate in your fourth year of study with us, it will be funded by the SLC. The NHS will then fund the remainder of your MBChB (Years 4 and 5 of your actual MBChB degree). If you intercalate in your fifth year of study, your main source of funding will be the NHS.    

You should create an online bursary application account using the NHS Student Bursaries system before you begin your NHS-funded year(s). All students are expected to apply for at least an award that covers the payment of their tuition fees. 

Payments are normally made within 10 working days of the University confirming your re-enrolment, providing your application and supporting evidence have been submitted to the NHS before you started your academic year. If your award was assessed after you started the academic year, the first instalment will be paid within 10 working days of the date on your Notification of Award (NOA), assuming the NHS have already received confirmation of enrolment from the university.

How will my tuition fees be covered?

During the first four years of study, you are able to take out a Tuition Fee Loan from the government (SLC) to cover your tuition fee costs.  In your fifth year of study onwards, the NHS will pay your tuition fees.

What other support is available?

Students studying in Years 1-4 of a medical or dentistry degree may also qualify for a Chamberlain Award from the University. Funding ceases in Year 5 onwards when the degrees become NHS-funded. 

If you are a Medical or Dental student who has exhausted all other sources of financial help, and you are still experiencing financial difficulties, you may be eligible to apply to the University's Student Support Fund.

The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) also have a NHS Bursary Hardship Grant that medicine and dental students can apply to if you are experiencing genuine financial hardship.

The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund (RMBF) runs Money4Medstudents, a website featuring tips on managing your money, how to borrow sensibly and where to find other sources of funding.

Social Work programmes

Home students studying towards an approved social work degree course may also receive non-repayable support from the NHS. 

What financial support is available?

If you are studying on an undergraduate Social Work degree, in your first year you are eligible for the normal statutory support from Student Finance England (SFE). You may also qualify for a Chamberlain Award from the University.

In subsequent years, it is understood that those students who are performing well on their course may be eligible for a non-repayable bursary from the NHS. Full details regarding this can be found on the NHSBSA website. This bursary will be in addition to any other continuing funding from SFE. Such students will not be eligible for the Chamberlain Award, but students who do not qualify for the NHS bursary will continue to be eligible and should contact us for advice on how to claim this.

Please note that where there are additional costs associated with attending placements in relation to your course, it is expected that the agency offering the placement will make a contribution towards these.

How do I apply?

You initially, for your first year, need to apply to Student Finance England (SFE) in order to assess your eligibility for statutory support. In subsequent years, when re-applying to SFE for funding, you should not declare that you are receiving an NHS Bursary as this term does not relate to the Social Work Bursary.

Find out more

Contact the NHS Business Services Authority.


Professional Services