Therapeutic Support

The Mental Health and Wellbeing team is staffed by an experienced team of therapeutic practitioners, and will offer you a safe and confidential space in which to explore the difficulties you may be facing, and will help you develop effective strategies to overcome them. You don't need a mental health diagnosis in order to access the service.

Please note if you are a non-UK based student please go direct to UBHeard to access support.

However, if you experience any of the following, please do not register with the Mental Health and Wellbeing service; please access our urgent mental health support information:

You must provide details of your registered GP when you register with the Service. We cannot process your registration until we have this information so failure to provide it will delay your registration. If you do not have a GP you can find your local GP.

Registering with Mental Health and Wellbeing

To register with Mental Health and Wellbeing services, please complete the online registration form ensuring that you have read the information above and understand the eligibility criteria. 

The standard offering of one-to-one support provided by Mental Health and Wellbeing Service is a series of 5 sessions with one of our trained practitioners. Due to Service demand we can normally only offer one episode per academic year, however you can also access UBHeard for a Counselling assessment and 24/7 mental health support. 

We are operating online appointments wherever possible but do have some limited capacity to offer face-to-face appointments if you cannot attend online appointments. Please be aware by selecting 'face-to-face only' you may wait longer for your appointment and/or be signposted to alternative service if we are unable to meet your request.

Being a short term University-based Service, if you require several episodes of support in an academic year or longer term therapy we will provide you with details of services external to the University who can offer more appropriate support.

If you have a diagnosed mental health condition and would like to explore any academic support or discuss a Reasonable Adjustment Plan, including assessment for support from a mental health mentor, please contact Student Disability Service for more information. 

If you have already received Mental Health and Wellbeing support  during the current academic year please visit your local GP who can review your needs and refer you directly to local psychological services and other local support services as required. You can also find your local NHS Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service where you can self refer for psychological support.  You can also check out additional support under External services. 

Once you have submitted your registration form you will receive a confirmation email that we have received it. We will then read and triage your registration form and you will receive an email telling you what service you have been allocated to and giving support available/useful resources to use while you wait for an appointment. We aim to have this initial email out to you within 3 working days of receiving your registration.

You will normally be triaged in one of the three following ways:


To work with a Psychological Practitioner or Counsellor within the Mental Health and Wellbeing Service on a one-to-one basis

In this case you will receive a further email once you have been allocated to an individual Practitioner which will give you all the information about the sessions and the person you will be seeing. You can also see staff profiles on Meet the Team . You will receive a contract which you will be asked to sign and return via email and this forms the basis of the work you will do with your Practitioner. We aim to have a first appointment offered within 30 working days of registration. Find out more about what working with a Psychological Practitioner involves.

To contact our external Counselling provider to arrange a Counselling assessment using the 24/7 phoneline.

UBHeard is a confidential listening and support service for all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) that gives you immediate emotional and mental health support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Call the service now on 0800 368 5819 (Freephone UK) or 00353 1 518 0277 (International), or visit the UBHeard portal.

High Risk Assessment

If we are concerned from the information provided in your registration form that there is significant risk of harm then we will invite you for a High Risk Assessment (HRA), within 7 working days of your registration, to discuss your support needs and refer to any appropriate services. 

Please be aware of the following ahead of registering for therapeutic support with Mental Health and Wellbeing:


Appointments FAQ

Appointments FAQ - please read ahead of your appointment.

Students on a Leave of Absence

Unfortunately we are unable to work with students on a Leave of Absence however you can register for support with External Services and then contact us once you have returned from your Leave of Absence.

Students Studying/Living Abroad

If you are a student studying abroad or a student who lives abroad and studies online and you require mental health and wellbeing services, please contact UBHeard, or your local GP/psychological services for support; your local university/study abroad contact may also help and advise you. We also have Self Help Guides & apps and online resources  which may be of benefit to you, and we will where possible support the Study Abroad team and university partners to support you. 


Please provide as much availability as you can so that we can try to allocate you as quickly as possible. We endeavour to offer appointments within your preferred availability however where this is not possible we will offer you alternative appointment times which you can choose to attend or instead use the 24/7 service UBHeard at a time of your convenience. 

If you already have therapy in place

It is not advised to work with more than one therapist at the same time. If you are already receiving psychological support from another agency we will ask you to re-register with Mental health and Wellbeing Service once that support has finished. 

Extenuating Circumstances evidence

We can only consider providing EC evidence after working with you for a minimum of two sessions and at discretion of the Practitioner you are seeing.

Externally registered students

Unfortunately we cannot offer ongoing sessions with externally registered students however you can access support through external services

Service opening times

Monday – Friday: 8:30am to 5:00pm (last appointment at 4.00pm)

Evening service (term time only): Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays last appointment 6:30 pm*

*Please note UBHeard is available 24/7 for mental health support.

I have a concern or complaint about the Service

If you do have a concern with any aspect of your contact with us, there are several steps you can take. We'll always endeavour to handle this concern appropriately, with your wellbeing as our main priority.

  • To begin with, try to talk to your Practitioner. They'll always be willing to look at the reasons for your concerns and will try to explore ways in which matters can be resolved. Please don’t worry about offending them – they'll be more than prepared to think about what might need to change in order to make your sessions more productive or to solve the issue that you've raised.
  • If talking to your Practitioner doesn’t resolve matters for you, you can write to the Interim Senior Psychological Practitioner Sue Knight with your concern at Aston Webb Student Services Hub, University of Birmingham B15 2TT. If you have been seeing Sue, you may write to the Interim Head of Wellbeing and Partnerships, Drew Linforth) at the same address. Your concern will be acknowledged within 5 working days, and you'll receive a full response within 2 weeks of receipt of your concern.
  • After this, if you feel that your concern has still not been resolved, you can contact Drew Linforth Interim Head of Student Wellbeing and Partnerships c/o Aston Webb Student Services Hub, University of Birmingham B15 2TT







Professional Services