iCite - referencing at the University of Birmingham

Pen on paperThe why, the what and the how of referencing.

How to reference correctly 
How to reference using different systems such as Harvard (author-date), Vancouver (Numbering), APA, MHRA, and others.

Reference management software  
Information on the use of Endnote and RefWorks 

Sources of help and support
Where to get help with referencing and reference management software

Referencing and plagiarism
Further information and links for help with plagiarism, in association with the i-cite.

Referencing guides

We have developed an enhanced guide to using a generic Harvard style of referencing based on Cite Them Right. Below are links to Quick PDF Guides on how to reference correctly using this new generic Harvard style, plus guides for 6 other major styles. For a more in-depth guide to these styles, follow the how to reference correctly link. 

Harvard (author-date) Quick Referencing Guide (PDF - 197KB)

Vancouver (Numbering) Quick Referencing Guide (PDF - 216KB)

APA Quick Referencing Guide (PDF - 225KB)

MHRA Quick Referencing Guide (PDF - 203KB)

MLA Referencing

Chicago Referencing

OSCOLA Referencing


Birmingham Harvard Style

University Education Committee has agreed to the discontinuation of the Birmingham Harvard referencing style. PDF guidance on Birmingham Harvard is still available.


Tell us what you think...

...we want to hear from you

Tell us about your experience of using our new intranet pages. Did you find what you were looking for? Have you learnt something new today? Or do you wish we could improve your intranet experience?

Developing these intranet pages will be ongoing and, if you share your view and ideas, it will help us to continue to improve this important resource for the benefit of the entire University community.

We also welcome your comments on university internal communications in general. Email the team or pick up the phone 0121 414 6680. You can also tweet us. Whichever way you decide to get in touch we look forward to hearing what you have to say.

If you have a technical question you can contact our IT colleagues as they are much better at that stuff than we are!