Frequently Asked Questions

This page lists the most common questions received by the Car Parking team. If your query is not listed below or anywhere else on the site, please get in touch with the team at

How do I apply for a parking permit?

If you are a new or existing member of staff wishing to apply for a parking permit, please visit our Staff Parking Options page. If you are a new or exisiting student wishing to apply for a parking permit, please visit the Student Parking page for the full list of criteria and online application form.

If you are not sure what your University employment status is, you can contact us at

I am an electric vehicle driver. Can I charge on site?

We currently have 37 electric vehicle charging points on campus. You can find their locations as well as more information on BP Pulse on our Electric Vehicle page.

Where can I park?

If you have received a parking permit from us, please ensure you read the information on the attached letter carefully as this will specify if your permit is only valid in particular areas.

If you are a Fixed Monthly Fee or Staff Pay on Arrival permit holder, your permit is valid campus-wide with the exception of the following:

  • Ground floor of the multi-storey (reserved for Hotel guests)
  • 90 Vincent Drive (leased by Birmingham Women's Hospital)
  • Chancellors Court, Hills car park, Medical School Forecourt (these areas require additional authorisation for access)

Student permits are valid in the following areas only:

  • Pritchatts Park Student Village
  • North East Multi Storey (Floors 1-5) Ground floor is reserved for Hotel guests only
  • The Vale site and Tennis Courts Residential sites
  • Selly Oak Campus (in pay & display areas only)

I am a commuting student. How do I apply for a parking permit?

For the full list of criteria and how to apply, please visit our Student Parking page.

My details have changed. How do I inform Car Parking of this?

If you have changed your vehicle - either permanently or temporarily - please advise Car Parking as soon as possible. You can find the Amendment Form and more information on our Vehicles Changes page.

I am temporarily driving a different vehicle. Do I need to do anything?

Yes, you need to advise Car Parking as soon as possible if you are bringing a different vehicle to campus. Please visit the Vehicle Changes page for more information.

I have received a warning/PCN. What do I do?

Please visit our Enforcement page for guidance on what to do if you have received a warning or PCN.

I have a received a letter from First Parking/debt collection agency regarding an unpaid PCN. What can I do?

If you have received a letter from a debt collection agency or First Parking, please visit our Enforcement page for guidance on what to do next.

I have a visitor on campus - where can they park?

Visitors should be advised to pay and display in the North East multi-storey car park. For further information and other options, please visit our Visitor Parking page.

I have contractors on site - can they apply for a parking permit?

Only essential works vehicles will be issued with a parking permit and charges may apply. Please visit our Contractor Parking page for more information.



Professional Services