What do PGRs do next?
Vitae's What do Researchers Do offers a series of publications exploring the destinations and career paths of doctoral graduates and university research staff.
PhD graduate careers case studies
Careers case studies can help to illustrate the wide range of career options available to you after graduation. You may also find that they provide useful advice, and give you a valuable insight into day to day life in different job roles.
Birmingham PGR alumni career case studies:
- Simon Goodwin, PhD Pure Mathematics - lecturer in Pure Mathematics at the University of Birmingham
- Andrew Goddard, PhD Biology / Biochemical Engineering - Viridor Waste Management
- Ian Holloway, PhD Physics - specialist mathematics tutor for Northumberland Educational Authority
- Sean McMitchell, PhD Electronic Engineering - senior research fellow, University of Liverpool
- Arpinder Bansi, PhD Structural Analysis (Civil Engineering) – Managing Director, Kaur Value Associates
- Ziad Mouneimne, PhD Electronic Engineering – Managing Director, Enotrac UK Ltd
- Barry Hill, PhD Physical Chemistry – Managing Director, R&D Consultancy
- Derek Atkins, PhD Metallurgy and Materials – visiting professor at CASS Business School and non-executive director of a number of companies
- For more case studies, have a look at the PGR careers outside of academia Canvas course in the section "Meet our PhD alumni."
- You can also check out Vitae's comprehensive library of PhD careers case studies